Monday, February 11, 2008

First Time For Everything

My husband and I are in the middle of a few little home improvement projects, one of which is finishing our basement. After a long 12 hr shift at work, the only thing on my mind was a hot shower. I have this rule that I must wash the hospital cooties off of me as soon as I step in the door. I don't even touch my husband or daughter until I am germ free. Yesterday was a particularly yucky day at work and the shower was calling my name. I came home to find my loving husband and his father working away tirelessly on the basement. I was soo excited to see the progress as work was held up for weeks (football season). Anyway, I was just about to go back upstairs when Josh said "Oh, you're not gonna be able to shower yet the water's off." Deep breath! "Ok," I said, "for how long?" "Not too much longer" he promised and I headed upstairs to sit on a stool until I could get in. About a half hour later I almost fell of the stool when the water came on full blast in the kitchen. YES!!! Relief. I was seconds away from the steps when my mom calls. Ok I though I've waited this long, I might as well have a short conversation. While on the phone I hear a horrible sound coming from the basement. "What was that," she asked. "I don't know, I have to go," I said. I went downstairs to find a pipe had burst and my husband and his father mopping up the mess. "Well I guess we're not plumbers" my husband said and then I realized the shower was slipping further and further away. It was now going to be at least a couple of hours until I could get in. My heart sank, I was exhausted and I couldn't even sit on the couch. I lay on the floor at the foot of the steps when I had and idea. There was bottled water in the garage!!! What if I heat it up and use it. So I did. Yes I took 4 bottles of Aquifina poured them in to a pan and heated it up. I then carefully took it up to my bathroom and proceeded with a bird bath. I was cold, but clean and better yet could now put on my pajamas and slip into bed. I guess know I how my sister survives in Africa.

3 comments:

justjuls said...

Aw - and I know after reading Kate's blog why you were so tired! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Did they get it fixed?? You are such a trooper when it comes to scrubbin the germies off from work, not sitting on the couch til you've showered. Such a good girl you are!!

Kirsten said...

That is so funny Lane! Bucket showers are a cold way to get things done, aren't they? But Go Josh for trying so hard!